Estate planning has traditionally been called Trusts and Estates, or Wills, Trusts, and Estates. We call it Estate Planning because it is a better way to describe it. We help clients create plans to protect and pass their assets as they desire. We talk to our clients to understand their goals to ensure their estate plan reflects the realities of their goals and wishes, as well as the spirit of them.
To accomplish the goals of the estate plan, it typically requires the use of a last will and testament, power of attorneys, and advance directives, and depending on the plan goals, trusts.
Our approach to estate planning is holistic, we are not just putting together a couple puzzle pieces, we are putting all of pieces together to make a picture. To ensure we are completing the same puzzle, we work with your financial planners and advisors, accountants, and other professionals you use to ensure we develop a seamless plan.
Selected services in this practice area:
- Preparation of wills and trusts;
- Preparation of health care proxies, living wills, advance directives, and power of attorneys;
- Integration of long-term care planning, including Medicaid planning, into the estate plan;
- Advice on estate, gift, and income tax consequences of estate plan;
- Serving as executor, fiduciary, or trustee and providing trust and administration services;
- Family-owned business succession planning;
- Estate planning advice in connection with merger, acquisition, or other business restructuring;
- Creation of private foundations;
- Drafting irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILIT), qualified personal residence trusts (QPRT), charitable trusts, and other trusts appropriate for the client’s situation;
- Preparing a Special Needs Trust;
- Creation of Family Limited Partnerships (FLP), Limited Liability Companies (LLC), joint ventures, and property holding vehicles for more tax efficient gifting
If you have questions or would like to schedule a FREE strategy session to create your estate plan, call us at (802) 442-9800 or schedule an appointment below.